Friday, 11 April 2008

I just lost my way

I have been away for so so long. Not on some exotic holiday (chance would be a fine thing). Simply away from my blog. I just seem to have lost the motivation to post - bad I know. There was no specific reason - I simply couldn't muster up the energy to share some bits and pieces with you all. Everyday after work, which is late - usually 6.30pm, I would plan to fit it in - but somehow I never managed to. I came to know it as 'bloggers block'. Problem was the longer it went on the more guilty I felt. Particularly as I have been lurking lots and commenting little - a real breach of the bloggers code of conduct. Is there such a thing??

Well anyway - for those of you interested(?) today I will share a little something I made earlier. It's a quilt I made back in January on a lovely weekend quilting retreat in Cornwall. The weekends are held in this beautiful converted chapel on the Roseland peninsula.

Sorry not the best photo I have but I will try to share some better ones when I have technical support available aka one of my children!

More about the quilt. It's a true recycled effort - my favourite type of creation. The top is made from a stash of vintage fabrics that I bought on e-bay last Summer. They came from Germany and were described as pieces of old pillowcases, bedding and aprons. I actually bought two lots as they were such a good buy - so have enough for another quilt. The blue plain blue I've used also has a story attached to it. When I was a district nurse in Smethwick in the West Midlands back in 1983 there was a little shop in the High Street which sold off cuts and remnants of fabric. I used to pop in during my lunch break at least three times a week to check out the new stock. It was the most amazing place where you would find anything from cotton to furnishing velvet to coat weight wool. A real treasure trove. So using up this piece of blue brought back lots of happy memories.

A close up shows the design which is split pinwheels. I am not an expert quilter just lucky to have expert tuition from a lovely teacher called Anne Baxter who is so talented and generous in sharing her wealth of knowledge.

The back is a piece of vintage floral fabric that I picked up in a jumble sale a year or so ago. It is finished in that I have machine quilted in the ditch and bound it - but I am planning to finish off with some hand quilting. Not sure how much and where yet - but springing to mind is hearts - maybe within each square. I have to say that of the few quilts I have made this is probably my favourite.


Finally as I press the publish button I want to tell you that in the time it's taken to compose this post I feel so much better. It's good to be back and giving - isn't that what blogging is all about :)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
What a truely amazing quilt-it's beautiful!
I think that you can be excused some time away from blogging because that must've taken hours!
Lovely to meet you earlier today and put a lovely face to a lovely name!
From one imsoniac to another-ha ha!
Love
Amanda (Shabby Chick) x

Joanna Butchart said...

I know what you mean about bloggers block, i suffer a lot. that quilt is superb and the venue looks amazing. thanks for stopping by and for your lovely comment

Gill at Lucy Locket said...

Lovely to have you back Mary, I've missed your posts and hadn't forgotten you. Sometimes bloggers just stop posting without a word and I hoped the same hadn't happened with you. Don't know about a code of conduct, I just muddle along posting when I can,and commenting if I have time! Your quilt is beautiful, and even better that it's made from vintage fabrics. That must have been a nice weekend. I've made one quilt many years ago, it wasn't all that good really and I might go back to quilting some day (along with all the other crafts I want to try!)
Take care,
Gill x

MarmaladeRose said...

It's great to have you back. I 've kept looking for you! Your blog is one of the ones that inspired me to start blogging in March. So don't feel pressured or guilty, just post when you feel like it. Otherwise it becomes a chore, and we all have enough of those already! Looking forward to more posts, Fi x

Donna said...

Hi Mary
Lovely to see you back. I know exactly what you mean about finding it hard to blog, the longer it goes on the worse it gets too.I think us creative types also need to keep a little energy back for making things and blogging can easily eat into that time if we are not careful. I am sorry not to have seen you at my sale but there will be others, have no fear, so I hope to see you one day :-)

Donna said...

Oh I also meant to say what a beautiful quilt, you must be thrilled with it x

Sea Angels said...

Hello Mary....WONDERFUL to see you back, and with a fantastic post. Your quilt is really exquisite, and the colours and the fabric just melt together to make this wonderful sea of comfort and colour, you are so talented. I love Cornwall too it inspires me and invades my dreams......
Have a wonderful week,
Hugs Lynn xx

Ragged Roses said...

Hello Mary, welcome back, it's lovely to hear from you again. I was hoping that you hadn't disappeared forever. I think the trick with blogging is to only post when you really feel like it and have the time and energy to want to do it, otherwise it can become a chore.
I love your new quilt, the colours are so pretty and work so well together, you must be thrilled with it
Kimx

Anonymous said...

What a lovely quilt.
I don't think you should beat yourself up for not posting every day. After all, as much as other people enjoy your blog, it is your blog and it should be something you enjoy doing...otherwise why do it?
Steph

Alchamillamolly said...

hi to see you back - I know what you mean I thought people must be sick of my house move so I backed off a bit and all my photos seemed to be about the house but at the moment I can't photograph anything I have made or bought 'cos life is the house!! Your quilt is beautiful, everytime I clickedo n your blog to see if you been and left some thoughts I saw that sad little lady on the shelf!

Pipany said...

Well, it's good to see you back and glad you enjoyed your time down here in Cornwall - the Roseland is truly gorgeous isn't it? xx

The Devil Makes Work said...

Hi,

I think your quilt looks gorgeous and it's so neatly finished, lovely colours as well.

picperfic said...

I applaud you for being able to leave your blog alone, mine beckons me constantly when I should be away doing the ironing or something! How glad I am that you are back though, the quilt looks soft and inviting...beautiful work and made in such a lovely location!

Crafttutorials.net said...

Hi
We recently have moved our website from http://crafttutorials.wordpress.com to Http://crafttutorials.net and we would really appreciate your continued linking to our site. Nothing has changed from our stand point and we will continue to post great craft tutorials.

We also could be interested in purchasing your site if you would be interested in selling?
Thanks
Craft Tutorials.

bernard n. shull said...

i did a little research after you told me about your "thing", and if you want a way to make more money using your your blog you can enter this site: link. bye.

happybunny said...

This quilt is absolutely beautiful. You are a very talented lady. I have only found your blog today but am glad that you are back posting as I look forward to seeing all your other creations.