Saturday, 3 November 2007

It's all to do with the camera.

I've really got to come clean here. I'm not the best at posting regularly and I can't really blame the full time job that I do since many of you are in the same position. I will confess that what holds me up most is the 'photo' thing. Or should I say my lack of ability with the 'photo thing'. When I started my blog I was using my husband's camera but relying on him to take a good enough photograph (how sad is that?) and upload it to the computer.
After a while I decided to get my own camera so that like many of you I could keep it with me for any photo opportunities that came my way in the course of the day. Hmm not that you would want to share any of images I come across at work! However being ever on the thrifty side I didn't want to splurge out on a new one when my daughter's 'old' one was sitting in a cupboard not being used. Even this proved to be quite a challenge as the original instructions were missing plus software to upload to the computer.
So eventually I gave up and bought myself a new one. Almost as small as a lipstick holder. How can this be - technology eh! Well I'd better stop rambling here and get to the point (thank heavens I hear you saying.) The point being that I couldn't get to grips with it and have now 'swapped' with my husband and am back where I started - story of my life?


Here are a few pics (do excuse the quality) that I have taken over recent weeks of some of my thrifty finds.
Apple crumble and mis-labelled apple and blackberry pie from the local church Autumn fayre. I find local fetes and fayres the best source of home bakes, jams, chutneys and preserves. I stock my cupboards and freezer very often after a Saturday morning visit to one. Of course I would never dream of 'passing them off' as my own (?)
This lovely granny square crochet blanket from our local Hospiscare shop - one of my favourite charities. The ladies that help are really sweet and know me as the 'sewing' lady!
This book on fair isle knitting which I will one day get round to learning!
This vintage floor standing anglepoise lamp was found by my husband on the white elephant stall while I was busy buying the crumbles and pies!! All for the grand sum of four pounds. Well spotted I say. A real help when sewing in the evenings - even with my specs I find it difficult to sew at night (sigh.. the joys of ageing).

This is my favourite of all. Bought from a dear old couple at a car boot. "Just clearing out my mother's things" the gentleman said. He was all of eighty himself!! He asked me to get it home safely and 'look after' it. I told him I would do more than that I would 'treasure it'!!

PS Thanks Betty for 'tagging' me I'm working on it! Also thank you Gill for the mention :))


Ooops just found out that the blanket pic is on twice and I have noooo idea how to delete it - so any advice would be gratefully received?

13 comments:

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

I reckon the blanket is lovely enough to be allowed to be on twice! Lucy x

Mary said...

Love the blanket and the spotty disI've been car booting today as wellh.

She'sSewPretty said...

I say don't worry about the blanket picture showing up twice. That makes it twice as nice. I love it and I really love that red polka dot casserole. I am back at the beginning camera wise too. My son broke mine and I took his that he didn't use. It is all new to me and I want my old one back. I think it gets harder to learn to use new things the older I get.

Ravenhill said...

The polka dotted dish is too cute! what a find! I know just what you mean about the camera thing. The most embarassing thing for me is that my husband teaches a course in digital camera and it has taken me years to learn how to download pictures myself! I finally learned it all because I just recently started my own blog. My husband helped a greeat deal and I am so proud that I can now do most of it from photos to downloading to editing. That is part of the blog thing though right? Learning new skills and sharing them with others! Love to see what you find thrifting! I adore fleamarkets...

Gill at Lucy Locket said...

Nice to see you back Mary!I reckon the blanket is worth 2 pictures too, so don't worry about it.And I just love the red dish, wow what a lucky find!
I bought my camera on Ebay, a Canon A80, I won it for £32 and they were going for up to £50 at the time. It's been such an easy camera to use even without the instruction book. The best advice I can give is get a teenager to help you get started, they're so confident on the PC and I know I found my daughter invaluable.
Gill x

Donna said...

Lovely thrifty items Mary, especially that polka dot tureen, well done you :-)

I am known as 'The fabric lady' in my local charity shops. They put things by for me which is so sweet.

Shropshire Girl said...

Lovely finds, and your hubby can spot a fine bargain too! We have those low energy lightbulbs which are too poor to sew by really, I think a day bulb in that lamp would work a treat.

buttercup & roses said...

You seem to getting on quite well with your photos, the best advice I can give is to always take your pics in the best possible light you can find, the brighter the better...Oh and to get rid of them just right click on the picture then press the little delete key on the right hand side of your keyboard, dont worry you'll soon get the hang of it!

I LOVE that lamp, it is so cool and funky, Im seriously jelous, what a clever hubby you have!

Jennifer x

buttercup & roses said...

I just realised I said right click on the mouse...I ment LEFT.. I dont think Im the right person to be giving advice about this kind of thing lol!!xx

Ragged Roses said...

Wonderful finds. love the blanket and lamp but I think the pie dish is my favourite. Gorgeous. If you sign in to blogger and then click on edit posts, highlight the photo that you want to delete when you're in that post and then delete it (the photo not the post) - it should work - good luck!
Kim x

Elizabeth said...

Love your finds, especially the lamp and the gorgeous polka-dot dish. I love buying the home-made jams and marmalades at local bazaars and fetes. I always think I've bought loads and loads, and that they'll last us for ages, and then they seem to get eaten in the twinkling of an eye. I'm really looking forward to a particularly good Christmas Bazaar this weekend which also sells the most delicious home-made sweets - yum!

Suzie Sews said...

Oh I love the red and white spots...Lucky you and to have a little history to it...

Country Cottage Chic said...

You have some absolutely super finds there!