Monday, 15 October 2007

An Uncanny Likeness

I have spent the last few days with my family in Wales. My sister has been visiting from Canada and it has been lovely to 'catch up'. As always there was lots of reminiscing and my mother took the opportunity to show off old photographs. This one is me with my two older brothers, Howard and John. It was the annual school photograph and I must be all of five or six. We were all turned out in our best bit of wool (I remember the itching well!!) The sequence of events was that the eldest in the family would be sent to collect siblings from each of their respective classes. How proud I used to be when my big brothers came to collect me. We then trundled off to the hall where a cheerful photographer positioned you all, straightened ties (?) and bows (in my case) and then told a silly joke to make you smile. Clearly this didn't work with me!!When I showed the photograph to my husband he went off to my sewing space and came back with this pattern folder he gave me a few months ago. At the time he said he thought I could have been the little girl on the front - concentrating on her sewing. This was before he had seen this photograph. I have to admit I do see a resemblance. Do you ?

16 comments:

Gill at Lucy Locket said...

Oh what a sweet photo Mary, I love looking at old photos. I try and imagine what the person was thinking and if they wanted to have their photo taken or were there under sufferance. I guess you liked it if you were with your big brothers, but it's hard to smile for the camera sometimes isn't it?! Oooh and I remember the wool cardigans and sweaters, my Mm was always knitting for me and my brothers, although of course winters were much colder and no central heating to boot so we really needed that warm clothing!

Annie said...

I definitely do - both georgous pictures.

Sea Angels said...

Thankyou for your lovely comments, and for visiting my blog xxx.
I just love the photos, I like the real homely look of them and the fact that children looked like children, the little girls look so similar I agree, and so very pretty, real treasure's.
Have a nice week
Lynn xx

Joanna Butchart said...

uncanny resemblance. I love the sewing machine she has got on the pattern. Thanks for visiting my blog

love.boxes said...

An amazing resemblance.. I've always like that little picture too! I've seen it one or two places before. :)

She'sSewPretty said...

Oh my gosh Mary! Are you sure that isn't you? Too, too cute! I have four brothers. Maybe you were frowning because they were teasing you. LOL

buttercup & roses said...

That really could be you! Are you sure it isn't!lol!

What a lovely old photo of you and your brothers.

Jennifer x

Lynda said...

The resemblance is amazing!! Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. ~ Lynda ♥

picperfic said...

love the story and the photograph...you look so little there! I can sort of see the resemblance. I can always remember squinting into the light and my eyes streaming in the sunlight whenever someone tried to take a photo of me, they still do it to this day!

Ragged Roses said...

An uncanny resemblance! My youngest use to love her older sister coming to collect her for the school photo, they're in separate schools now though and she doesn't like it, although I think the oldest does!
I remember that itchy wool feeling - horrid!
Kim x

Victoria said...

I love the photos , the intense concentration of the girl with the sewing machine is truly magical.Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog, I really appreciate it

melissa said...

wow- that's amazing. both girls are very sweet!

She'sSewPretty said...

Mary, I tagged you tonight. Go see!

Shropshire Girl said...

Oh yes I can see a definite likeness. I used to have a bow in my hair every day like yours - it was either white or acid lemon. lovely photos!

Claire said...

That photo is so cute. My sister has all my mothers photos and there are all the family lined up, having their photo taken. I love the feeling that it was an occasion to have your picture taken, and not as commonplace as it is now, especially in the light of camera phones and digital cameras. I also remember the itch of some of the cardigans and in particular a woll dressing gown from the 50's that it seems everyone in the family wore at some point, and then it was my turn to suffer the itch...

weirdbunny said...

What a resemblance ! i used to love it when my brother had to come down to my class room to collect me for the school photo. Thanks for bringing back that memory ! ~ love julia x