Sunday, 9 September 2007

Thought for the day.




I am not by nature an envious person. I have reached that time in life when I can honestly say I like my life. I consider the important things to be good health and inner contentment. That's not to say there are things that I wouldn't change if I could - but generally nothing major. Since starting out on this whole blog thing this feels like a common theme amongst many of you. It may never be said but on the whole most of you seem to share a similar opinion and I feel you are kindred spirits. Why is this? It's possibly an age thing - although I know that there are bloggers of all ages out there.I ask myself could it be the whole creative thing - be that sewing, cooking or any other craft, giving us a common bond? Or could it be the whole thrift / recycling ethos. You know the "make do and mend" principle of my parent's generation? The notion of being satisfied. Come to think of it that's probably how I'll sum up my feelings about my life "satisfied". What do you think? I have no great ambition (the dream of owning a shop full of vintage fabric that no one is allowed to buy excluded of course!) Ah well enough meandering I'm off to the car boot. If I find any goodies I'll tune in later and share. Blimey, two posts from me in one day that would be something!! I'll leave you with this NFO (now finished object ). The heart fabric is made by stitching channels through layers of fabric and 'slashing' in between with this little tool. After washing and drying you end up with a chenille type fabric. Very easy and great fun.

13 comments:

Sea Angels said...

Hello Mary, thankyou for dropping by..... cos I have now found you... and I totally agree with your comments, I love this whole community thing/blog and I like the fact it seems to travel across the continental plates, from one side to the other, and back again. We are all so similar, yet individual and I don't know why but it's great....love your blog too xxx

She'sSewPretty said...

Would you let me come in your shop and play with your fabric? LOL I feel the same way Mary.

Kat-in-a-flap. said...

I love the comraderie of blogger,we all seem to be ther for one another.Pop over to my blog to pick up an award for making me smile.
Kat xx

Ragged Roses said...

I agree with you Mary. In many ways I feel I live a 'small" life and like you harbour no great ambitions but since blogging I have really appreciated all that I have and how lucky I am. Love the cushion, what an interesting tool!
Kim x

Joanna Butchart said...

a really lovely post. Made me smile. Thanks. Oh and than you for stopping by

Gill at Lucy Locket said...

Nice post Mary, yes it's very reassuring to discover from blogging that most of us are quite content with our lives. I think that doing something creative is really satisfying and everyone should have a hobby in my opinion! I can't imagine a life without my favourite crafts, and cooking for pleasure, and books and music. And how lucky are we to be able to share our enthusiasm with like-minded people?!
Gill

Kat-in-a-flap. said...

Thankyou for your kind words,
and for visiting me,
Kat xx

Kat-in-a-flap. said...

Yo baby,I think I tink ya just jucin wid me,waay to cool for school LOL !!!!!! You made my day,
Thankyou for making me smile.
Kat xxxxx

julia said...

I'm happier now in my 30's than ever before. I think it was having children that "did it" for me. In my twenties there was pressure to have a career, money etc. I was never ambitious (probably lazy!) so I was thrilled when I could chuck it all in and stay at home with my babies, and I wouldn't swap that time for anything!

My dream is to have a tea room / gallery one day when the kids are older, who knows?

Julia x

picperfic said...

yep...the internet has been great for friendship of kindred spirits! Love that heart and the clever way you produced it!

Annie said...

Congratulations on a NFO! I seem to have so many UFO's kicking around the place. I think our common bond of gentle arts is definitely what links us all together. I loved reading your thoughts on this. Thanks for your post.

love.boxes said...

Artsy folks are often fun happy folks like you. I enjoyed reading through your blog and love the heart pillow.. it's simply lovely. :)

She'sSewPretty said...

Hi Mary! Just checking in to see how you're doing. I'd love to hear from you!