Friday, 17 August 2007

And the Lazy Blogger Award goes to ......


....Mary from 'and sew to sleep'!?!? Well if there ever was such an award I would be top of the nomination list. I have been one seriously lazy blogger over the past few (5!!) weeks. I went AWOL from my blogging responsibilities. Worse than that I've been 'lurking' a little and not even leaving comments (shame on me).

My excuse....well there isn't one - well not a legitimate one - so I won't insult your intelligence by making one up. So what brought me back to the land of lovely bloggers? Well today I tuned in to find a comment from Gill telling me that I had won her give away. Thank you Gill, it really made my day.

Then there is the story linked to the yellow courgette!! This is true folks.

I have never said in my posts but I work full time as a nurse. I trained back in the 1970's, went on to train as a Midwife and then as a District Nurse. A career that has spanned 33 years to date. It is wonderful work - despite the many pressures and difficulties associated with today's health service.

I have worked with some really lovely people who over the years have become good friends. However best of all has been meeting many (too many to count) amazing people who despite the most awful problems, rarely complain and are always grateful for your help. I never fail to be humbled by this strength in people.

Yesterday I was reminded of this.
One dear elderly gentleman who can barely walk and is in constant pain gave me some of these beautiful yellow courgettes. Now to the amazing part of this story. They came from his allotment that he works on every single day. Mostly on his hands and knees!! He produces the most fantastic fruit and vegetables and grows flowers worthy of Chelsea RHS. I have never heard him complain and he always has a smile to offer.

As I chopped away at the courgettes tonight I made a decision to get on and 'do' -rather than 'putting things off".

Hence the new post after 5 weeks absence.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

I'll be back soon.

Promise xxxx

8 comments:

Gill at Lucy Locket said...

Well I'm not surprised you don't have much time for blogging...I'm full of admiration for you Mary, nurses do a fantastic job. You must have some stories to tell.
As a child I used to say I wanted to be a nurse...don't know what happened to that dream!
I wouldn't feel too guilty about taking a break, a lot of us have been doing that this summer....
Gill

kat-out-of-the-bag said...

I'm a nurse too,I work with the elderly and I love my work.
I always feel guilty for resting but we all deserve a break sometimes.
Hope you have had some sun to enjoy ......
Kat x

Gill at Lucy Locket said...

Mary, you must do the music thing, I promise it's really easy once you've worked it out (your kids will do it in minutes!!). I love hearing other people's taste in music.

Ragged Roses said...

Hello and welcome back - it's good to hear from you again, Glad you followed the courgette's example but don't feel bad about not blogging over the past few weeks, we all need a break some time. Enjoy your weekend and your veg!
Kim x

Mary said...

Hi mary
good for you still nursing. I survived 41years but am so glad I 've retired. I feel as though I have a life of my own now. I still miss the hustle and bustle, the patients and many colleagues.Looking foward to catching up with your blog Mary

picperfic said...

I know the feeling...I am having trouble leaving comments, I owe so many that I feel a bit overwhelmed by the task..perhaps I should justleave a smiley face to let the owner know I have been? Those courgettes are more than special, the story is so lovely.

She'sSewPretty said...

Mary, I'm glad you're back. Though I did like looking at the legs. teehee
We have a lot of wonderful friends who are nurses. I don't have enough patience to deal with patients. LOL
Hugs!!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Well, it is always nice to win something......