Saturday, 2 June 2007

The Ugly Duckling.


At last week's car boot I came upon a very 'shabby' piece of linen. That is shabby "shall I not even buy it" - not shabby as in Cath Kidston Vintage style. It really was a scrap and even the seller looked at me rather strangely when I asked the price. Looking back I think she had used it to protect some china pieces in transit. Anyway for the sum of 25 pence I became the owner of this sorry little piece of fabric. Even after washing it didn't really inspire me but I decided to rise to the challenge and give it a chance. Well lo and behold with a little effort, some cotton batting as a sandwich and an inside coat of vintage Laura Ashley this ugly duckling turned into a swan. Well I happen to think so.....do you?

14 comments:

melissa said...

good job- i'm also in the business of rescuing sad looking pieces of fabric and i think your new bag is very sweet!

Lucy Locket said...

I think it looks beautiful - definitely a swan (and a very lucky one too to have been rescued!!) Lucy

Shropshire Girl said...

Wow, you obviously have a good eye, it is now officially gorgeous.
Sandra. x.

Gill at Lucy Locket said...

It's a really pretty bag, well done you. The seller's probably wondering why on earth you'd want her old bit of packing material!

Gill x

Gill said...

What a great find, loverly material.
Great use of it too, very usefull for shopping etc.

Take care
Gill

Ragged Roses said...

I agree, it really is a swan1 Beautiful bag!
Kim x

Suzie Sews said...

Stunning, you have a good eye.
SUzie Sews

She'sSewPretty said...

I love it. You definitely transformed it into a swan!

julia said...

Beautiful! I often get bemused looks when I offer to buy the fabric used to transport sellers' bits to the car boot!

julia

Kim said...

It looks great :)

alison said...

It really is very lovely Mary. And 25p??!!! It must be the week for bargains! Fabulous!

Thank you for leaving the comment on my blog. You know by now that I appreciate each and every one of them!

My Best Friend Calls Me Martha said...

Such a good save :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and welcoming me!

Annie said...

I think YES it has turned into a swan. I am in the process of turning an old jumper into a winter handbag. I also adore that tea cosy. I am about to embark on some felting myself

Vintage to Victorian said...

Personally I think it's lovely, and it would have been sacriledge to leave it behind. I'm so glad you had vision ... even if you weren't sure you had at the time!!
Sue