Friday, 4 May 2007

Recycled Linen (3)








Since it's Friday and the end of a long week,
I thought I'd share a secret???!! Oh yes are you all ears - no that should be eyes because your reading this right?
Anyhow listen carefully ..........I remember Biba. Now there's more.... I don't mean the reincarnation in today's designs. I mean the original. Yeah I knew that would shock you. You didn't think I sound that old :))) LOL- of course my age has nothing to do with me not posting a picture of myself on this blog. Definitely not - just haven't had the time?? Anyway - back to the business in hand. Where were we ? Oh yes Biba. I used to looove the clothes , make up and even the bags they put your buys in - just divine. So where is this leading you ask. Well......memories of Biba came flooding back when I found this set of four linen placemats in a car boot last weekend and a cotton pillowcase - so 70's all for the princely sum of 60pence.

After a little thinking I designed and made this...really it's just another take on a tote bag pattern with a button detail on the corners. I used Timtex to add strength to the gusset. Has anyone else tried this I know Amy Butler uses it in her bags. Of course I'm not comparing myself to such talent.....if only!! One thing I can be sure of is that my darling daughter will want this one!
Have a good weekend everyone.

15 comments:

Gill at Lucy Locket said...

Fabulous, I adore this bag! I do remember Biba, not a shop I could ever have dreamed of going to but I used to read about it in magazines and paper.
I need to look out for Timtex for my first bag, looks like a trip to to Needlecraft is in order.

Gill

julia said...

LOVE the bag! The problem with me is that I make so many bags I have trouble choosing which one to use and invariably find I don't move over house keys, purse etc. and end up in a total state of confusion.
I shall be asking for Timtex at my local craft shop.
Thanks for visiting my blog

Julia

ps - find a good, reliable builder and go for the kitchen, it ws the best thing we did in this house!

Betty @She's Sew Pretty said...

I guess I don't know what Biba was? Aclothing company? I love the bag though and I am ashamed to say I don't know what Timtex is though I would love for you to tell me.

Naturegirl said...

What talent with stitching I see here! Thank you for your generous comment on my ~Spring News post!~ It is a pleasure to meet you! I look forward to coming by again and seeing your English garden!hugs NG

Jo said...

Love the bag! It's great to recycle something old into something new and you have certainly done that. Is Timtex a stiffener?

Ragged Roses said...

Beautiful bag - what a good idea. I remember going to Biba with my older and very glamorous cousin, it was like entering another world. Wish there was a similar shopping experience around now ..
Kim x

She'sSewPretty said...

I tagged you this morning. Go read my blog. Looking forward to reading your 7 things.

Angel Jem said...

Cool bag! I, of course, am definitely too young to remember Biba, but I know they're in a museum somewhere..... with the dinosaurs!(sorry!) but, i have to say, I do remember these prints and wore them, too when I was 3 or 4. They're right cool, too. Bet you don't keep that bag for long!

Ragged Roses said...

So sorry to tell you this Mary - I've tagged you too! Wouldn't bother doing another list though - one will be enough! Hope you're having a good weekend.
Kimx

Alison said...

My mother had those sheets and pillowcases! I imagine she still does as she tends to hoard. She also had them with a turquoise daisy.

I haven't tried Timex. Not sure if you can get it here but would love to hear how you get on with it.

Thank you for the comment on my blog. Always appreciated.

annasattic.co.uk said...

hi mary,yes i remember *Biba* i used to go there with my best friend when i was in my 20s [many moons ago] i bought a few things but my friend nearly always wore long clothes and was very petite,so biba was her favorite shop and the Wallis shop,very pricey and i used to alter her clothes,we used to go to the biba nightclub which was next to the shop,it was a very small place but we loved it,but it all closed down!
love the bag your making,i am handbag mad,i love them all! haha best wishes ann.

kates said...

you make gorgeous purses and bags, love yor site, I especially love the small pink lined purse with blanket stitch around the top. So lovely

melissa said...

this is so lovely! I bags in that shape, and the fabric is divine.

woof nanny said...

Would it be okay if I post this to my purse blog?

woof nanny said...

Oh, and I forgot to say I have used Timtex and I like it, especially for bags that need additional strength. You can use heavy pellon too. Basically it's just a heavy duty interfacing. For the base of bags, my mom likes to use the plastic that you can needlepoint on--the one with little squares.