Friday, 16 March 2007

Did she spoil it? No she boiled it.

















I have been watching the clever things being done over here with a felted wool blanket. So much so, that when I came across this jumper (the remains of) in a charity shop I decided to see what I could do with it. So first I cut off the sleeves and boiled them in a saucepan on the cooker. This made them thicken a bit - enough to stop them fraying when cut and also made he wool "bleed". This made the colours blend somewhat - which I quite liked. Out of this I made a large heart and some smaller ones which I stuffed and backed with vintage fabric. I then embellished them (love that word) with tiny wooden buttons secured with linen thread and seed beads. So finally I'm left with the main body which I put through the washing machine on a boil programme. Somehow the colours stayed vibrant and the wool did felt very well. When it dried, all became clear (makes a change). It had to be a bag - and so you see the final piece. A little bold but very proud tote bag. Lined in some spotty blue and white fabric.






6 comments:

Ragged Roses said...

What a lovely bag and hearts you are very clever. thanks for the lovely comments! Glad to see someone else is not that computer literate either. I notice from your profile you like Kate Rusby, we adore her! Have a good weekend
Kim x

Donna said...

Wow Mary you have made some beautiful things! I have tried felting but my first attempt went horribly wrong. This has inspired me to try again :-)

Gill said...

I love this bag, you're so talented! Do you follow a pattern or make it up as you go along? It looks so well finished.

Vintage to Victorian said...

Love the bag! Inspirational! I've never attempted felting (well not intentionally at any rate!) but might just have to give it a go.

andsewtosleep said...

Thank you for your lovely comments. In answer to your question Gill. I don't use a pattern - but I'm not super clever. The principle of a tote bag is really very simple. Once you do one you can adapt them in size shape etc. I did a quick search on google and found this brill tutorial. www.supereggplant.com Scroll down on the left and you will see tote bags as a label.If you have a mo take a peek and I hope it helps. Mary

Betty @ She's Sew Pretty said...

Oh that is sew cute! I might have to look for old sweaters at the thrift store now. Just found your blog and love it!